Thursday, April 12, 2007

The past 2 weeks.

The online course has begun, but I need to get cracking at it. Work pressures, project deadlines, unachievable PERT charts all loom over my head for more than 20 hours a day. The course demands 5 hours of day of studies on various topics, ranging from accounting to computers. Maths, Stats and Computers seem easier than the rest, but Behavioural Sciences gives me the nightmares that faced during 12th Bio lectures with its slides on the human brain and the nervous system. Accounting should be logical, but the others in the group say that it is difficult.

Now that I say group, have made more friends in the last one month than I have in the last 3 years! Orkut is an awesome tool to connect, as is the net. I made an ill-fated forum @ jconserv that crashed 3 days after I made it. Ajay and I got together on Monday and made a new one @ webberzone. If any of my classmates / seniors is reading this, please do join. We already have about 70 members, and the discussions are starting to get interesting! Ajay, seems to be a geek, just like me, and seem to hit it off well with him. :)

The laptop configuration question is what comes to moi the most. Have provided advise and configurations to a bunch of people, and waiting from feedback on performance.

As for me, I have set my heart on the Dell Inspiron 6400, with a Core 2 Duo T5300, 1GB of DDR2 533 MHz, Ati Mobility Radeon X1400, 120GB hdd and a 15.4” screen. Should I get Vista Premium with it, or stick to the good old XP is something that bothers me. Have not heard any thing bad about vista, seems to be relatively stable, but have doubts about software compatibility issues that I may face for the plethora of open source alternatives that I use for my day to day functioning on the PC.



I now have exactly 1 month left at TIFR, and it’s gonna get hectic. Knowledge Transfer of sorts has to be accomplished, and people have to be brought up to date on all that I have done in the past 3 years. This is sort of an impossible task, considering the fact that most of the work was brain work and coding, and explaining methods of coding especially in HDL … well lets just say it is not easy.

The weeks vacation in Kerala should help me relax before the grind of college.

Oh, and please take the time out to watch 300. Don’t try to watch it at home. Watch it on a LARGE screen at a nice theater else the effects are lost out. No great shakes story wise, but a visual treat. Not for the overly squeamish, but a digital blood bath that should satisfy all.

No comments: