Wednesday, June 07, 2006

640K ought to be enough for anybody

Never Satisfied

Had my gmail account give me a “Lockdown in Sector 4” for the entire day. I had re-downloaded all my messages from gmail to thunderbird, hoping that it does not crash again, left it all night, only to come back in the morning to find that my account has been locked out due to “Suspiciously High Activity”.

Sent an email to gmail support, but the 12 hour time gap did not help, so no emails yesterday, which gave me the time to think about the mail services that we use...

Started off with USA.net nearly 8-10 years ago when i was in the 8th grade with 1MB of email space, and then shifted to Hotmail and the then gigantic 2MB of storage, shifted to Yahoo who offered me 6MB of storage space and the ability to host a page on Geocities.

In came my favourite guys from the computer world, announced a “Invite Only” version of email service with 1GB of space. Buy-Beg-Borrow-Steal was the motto of the day and got my invite after cajoling a friend abroad. Invites were then limited to 5 per person, and were selling at $2 an invite on ebay!

Yahoo increased to 1GB and Google had to go one better so we now have 2GB of space, and to further kill competition, they announced that they will continue to increase space! So as of today it reads nearly 2.8GB. Which brings me to the question, how did I manage with 2MB of space, when 2GB proves insufficient with only 3 spam emails a day!

Brings back the classic (supposed, but nowadays debated) William H. Gates III statement in 1981,

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

Yeah and I struggle to work with 1G of RAM and 400GB of hard drive space at home and more than that at work!!

So as of yesterday evening

You are currently using 1289 MB (47%) of your 2731 MB

new music : Going retro this week.

Bread - The very best of .. Classic voice, 70's tones, love it.

BeeGees - The very best of. Dad is gonna be pleased. Finally something in my collection that he listens to.

Got the 17th edition of Upgrading and Repairing PC's (as a pre release e-book), my favourite book just got an year older and matured like fine wine. 1608 pages to go thorugh, I will be in line on the day it hits the stores here!

Scott Mueller - *BOW* *I am not worthy*

No comments: