Thursday, June 29, 2006

In pursuit of all things trivial

In pursuit of all things trivial

I realised that my activities on the sea shore elicited surprised reactions from the crowd of 5 gathered to watch my antics, but no amount of gawking by fellow institute members could prevent me from enjoying my afternoon antics with the sea.

Throw some drift wood or pieces of jetsam into the sea, and watch it return, sort of the classic “If u love some one let them free, if they love u they will come back, if they don’t they were never yours” scenario. Replace the lady with a piece of wood, a piece of thermacol, a piece of a floatation device, or any one of millions of things which thanks to a lower density than water float on it.

We spent 20 fruitful minutes today with a big block of thermacol; tossing it in to the sea and watching the waves throw it back at me. Injudicious use of office time, I think not. I am now a rejuvenated soul.

Why is it that all things trivial to others fascinate me to no extent? My mom used to says that I there is no end to my curiosity. I need to know the how, the why and the what for of everything that happens. This reached a peak on the fateful day of my thread ceremony some 6 years back, when I asked the poor priest somewhere in Kerala to explain the entire procedure in English to me, before asking me to perform any of the rituals. The poor guy looked at my parents with expectations, but all they could do was shrug, and ask him to follow the directions of a kid.

Am I a six year old trapped in the body of a 24 year old?


No comments: